Mon 7 Feb 2011
Raisins are indispensable when it comes to dry fruits. Those golden, green or black coloured delicacies are favourites of almost everybody, especially children. Raisins are widely used worldwide in cuisines (especially in desserts), health tonics, as snacks and also as food for mountaineers, trekkers etc.
- The health benefits of raisins include relief from constipation, acidosis, anaemia, fever, and sexual weakness. Raisins also help in weight gain, eye care, dental care, and bone health.Raisins contain many B vitamins known for boasting energy.
- Raisins are high in calories which are also important in increasing energy.
- Raisin is a valuable strength building food which is ideal for persons who are weak, emaciated or anaemic.
- The juice soaked or stewed raisins has been found to be a good remedy for sore throat, asthma and cases of catarrh (mucus running from mucous membrane).
- Raisin contains phytonutrient known as oleanolic acid which helps promote good oral health by destroying the bacteria that causes cavities.
- Raisin is rich in iron a nutrient which is necessary for formation of haemoglobin which carries oxygen to all body cells. An iron deficiency can cause weakness, bruising, sensitivity to cold, difficulty concentrating, irritability and fatigue.
- Raisin is rich in fibre and tartaric which promote digestive health and regularity. Diet rich in fibre can help lower the risk of colorectal cancer. Research finds that eating two servings one cup of raisins a day may help lower the risk of colon cancer.
- Raisins are one of the best dietary sources of boron. Boron is essential for bone health. The minerals in raisins in conjunction with oestrogen in women help make bones stronger and ward off osteoporosis.
- Raisins are rich in antioxidants that helps protect our bodies against free radical damage.
- Raisins can help prevent macular degeneration, an age-related progressive disease of the retina.
- Raisins can help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- The fruit sugar in raisins is more digestible than the cane sugar and raisins will not wreck havoc with your blood sugar levels.