Yoga is a way of living life. It does not merely comprise of postures and breathing exercises. It has a deep philosophy to it.
Dis-ease affects our body but it originates in the mind first. When your mind is stressed, it affects the flow of energy which when consistent affects at the physiological level and results in psychosomatic diseases namely asthma, diabetes, and high blood pressure. Adapting to yoga as a way of life when combined with a nutritious balanced diet can keep you away from all diseases.
Some simple practices that can be followed
- Yoga advises to fill in half of the stomach with food, quarter with liquid such as water, lime juice, buttermilk and the other quarter should be left empty.
- Dinner should not be had less thanone hour before sleeping.
- It is important to understand here that eating right does not only include what to eat, how much to eat, when to eat but also how you eat.
- It is advisable to pray with a humble gratitude before you begin eating and chew your food properly in positive silence in a comfortable seating position preferably cross legged for maximum blood supply to the stomach.
- Yoga recommends fresh vegetarian diet, healthy lifestyle and positive thoughts.
- It is recommended to get a good and sound sleep for seven to 8 hours daily.
- Your values shape up your attitude, attitude determines your behavior and ultimately your behavior determines your actions.
- Yoga recommends practicing the four traits of virtue, wisdom, detachment and strength.
Author is Global Leading Holistic Health Guru/Corporate Life Coach, Dr. Mickey Mehta.